036 · Tastes, Collections and Videotapes
Between fiction and backstage
Exposición en el Centro de Arte Dos de Mayo, Móstoles, Madrid
The “TASTES, COLLECTIONS AND VIDEO TAPES” exhibition marks a new phase of the Centro de Arte Dos de Mayo. The exhibition shows 22 video works belonging to the Contemporary Art Collection of the Madrid Autonomous Region and to some of the most relevant private collections in Madrid specializing in this format.
The Project was conditioned by two basic elements: One the one hand, the museum halls are placed around a central court, closed in one of its corners by a curtain-wall, which makes developing a system to guarantee ideal spatial, acoustic and lighting conditions of the exhibition a must. On the other hand, the project makes the most of the wall divisions used for previous exhibitions to optimize costs and the execution period.
This way, the exhibition is organised around a body which infiltrates de museum and generates an independent environment where the different halls are located and the ideal conditions for the showing of each piece are created. The visit around the exhibition is through the rear part of the halls, a network of folded spaces where nothing is concealed, such as the technological devices (projectors, cabling) or the transitory building methods (structure, soundproofing). Each hall is accessed by a series of entrances and simultaneously establishes an acoustic and light gradient from the sense of the visit to the soundproofed environments.
During the visit, the visitor will alternate his walk around the backstage with an immersion into rooms of fiction.
1. The ‘in-between’ space. Video art works always have 2 sides. On the one hand, the side of fiction and re-presentation: the side of the projection. On the other hand, the backstage, the technical space that remains off camera, indispensable for any image. The spectator of the exhibition "Tastes, Collections and Videotapes" will move between the spaces of fiction, and the ephemeral infrastructures.
2. The foreign body. A foreign enclosing element, a light structure, covered by acoustic insulation modules, infiltrates into the museum, configuring the projection spaces.
3. The screens. Specialised enclosures become organized in independent projection rooms isolated from the outside. Specific atmospheres are designed to contemplate each piece.
4. The backstage. From one work to the other, the spectator moves through technical spaces that define the infrastructures of fiction. During the itineraries the tricks are exhibited: the machines, the isolation cover, the structures, etc.
5. Curatorial criterion. The itineraries and the disposal layout of the works are adapted to the curatorial criteria. They are organized in 3 basic thematic frameworks, each located in a different plant: "Domestic passages and other interiors", "On the streets of the world", and "Cultural exchanges".
6. Recycling. In order to optimize efforts, costs and deadlines, the project takes advantage of the pre-existing built elements such us the dividing walls of the previous exhibition.
- elii - Uriel Fogué + Eva Gil + Carlos Palacios
- Enrico Forestieri y Ana López Sánchez-Vegazo
- Dirección General de Archivos, Museos y Bibliotecas de la Consejería Cultura y Turismo de la Comunidad de Madrid y Centro de Arte Dos de Mayo
- General coordinators:
- Esther de la Hoz y Adriana Rexach
- Fine Arts advisor:
- Carlos Urroz
- Virginia Torrente
- Mounting of the exhibition:
- Exmoarte, S.L
- Video edition:
- Los SuperOcho
- Audiovisual equipment:
- Salas AudioVídeo
- 1.540 m2
- 25 de septiembre 2008 – 11 de enero de 2009
- Centro de Arte Dos de Mayo, Móstoles, Madrid. Floors 1,2 y 3